Time for the Naked Truth by Rob Kempinski

Responder
David Cortizas
Administrador del Sitio
Contactar:

Time for the Naked Truth by Rob Kempinski

Mensaje por David Cortizas »

This time of year it's time to defoliate my Ficus getting rid of any large or winter damaged leaves. With the trees naked I can clean up the branch structure and grow a new crop of leaves. This year, I've had an apprentice - my 86 year old mother has been defoliating my ficus for me. She's been doing a great job.

A before shot of a large Ficus Microcarpa, the "Flying Buttress Ficus"

Imagen

After an couple hours plucking leaves. The red lines are drinking straws slit to accommodate aerial roots that needed to be redirected. Once I get all the trees defoliated I'll go back and put some wire on some of the branches on this one and repot it in April or May. The blue pot is an older Japanese pot.

Imagen

This is "The Kracken" another Ficus Microcarpa grown in a very convoluted branch style. Before defoliation with leggy branches. Also in a large modern Chinese pot of decent quality.

Imagen

After removing leaves and starting to assess branch arrangement.

Imagen

This is about half way done with the wiring. I will go back next week and finish wiring the top. I am trying to make it look like a sea monster so the branches are very contorted.

Imagen

Meanwhile, Mom is still smiling and willing to do more defoliation so she is continuing to remove leaves.

Imagen

Here is the "Trident Ficus", a Ficus Nerifolia. Repotted last year into this large (22 inch across) Chinese pot.

Imagen

And it naked.

Imagen

Next she tackled a bunch of shohin Ficus.

Here are a few after shots.
This is a shohin Willow Leaf (Ficus nerifolia) forest, well it started as a forest. The trees seem to have all grown together over the past 10 years and its probably one clump now. Japanese pot.

Imagen

An overhead view of the shohin forest.

Imagen

A Triple Trunk Willow Leaf Ficus. (This guy has no name. Anyone willing to make a suggestion.) Pot by Bryan Albright , UK.
It was started in 1990 by a bonsaist that tried to have a bonsai business but went bankrupt and sold all his stock to a regular garden nursery. 10 years later I found it in a plastic pot and bought it. It is now another 10 years later and the top and right side of the tree were grown by me.

Imagen

Here it is naked.

Imagen

This is semicascade from a cutting in a pot made by me.

Imagen

This guy has been featured here in the past and its progress documented both on the old IBC and in my book. It originally was a cascade that had a reverse taper problem.
Looking nice with new leaves starting to pop. Pot by Bill at Horse Creek Pottery.

Imagen

Mom has done a bunch more but I haven't photographed them all. She has about 30 more to go. Here's one bench showing some progress.

Imagen

Mom plucked the leaves. The pot is the BCI commemorative pot from the World Convention in Washington DC.

Imagen

Rob aka Bonsai Golfer
Check out my blog http://blogs.knowledgeofbonsai.org/rob_kempinski/
Imagen
kaeruen.com
Nelson
Contactar:

Re: Time for the Naked Truth by Rob Kempinski

Mensaje por Nelson »

:o :o :shock: :shock: Hermosos!!
Imagen
David Cortizas
Administrador del Sitio
Contactar:

Al desnudo es como se demuestra una magnífica ramificación.

Soy un gran admirador del trabajo de Rob Kempinski.
Imagen
kaeruen.com
David Cortizas
Administrador del Sitio
Contactar:

Here's another Willow Leaf Ficus. Pot by Nick Lenz, USA.

Imagen

Mom cut off the leaves. She's using one of her small sewing scissors that seems pretty good for cutting the leaves.
I need to do some branch work on this one to organize them a bit.

Imagen

A couple more. This is a Indian Laurel Ficus (Ficus Microcarpa) forest from a set of cuttings I took a few years ago. I made the pot with some black cone 5 clay.
Before defoliation.

Imagen

After.

Imagen

This Willow Leaf Ficus (Ficus nerifolia) has been styled as if it were a Trident Maple. It is also a tree from the bankrupt bonsaist then garden nursery 20 plus years ago. I've had it for 10 years. Growth hasn't been vigorous the last year or so so I repotted it a bit early in the season. The pot is a large one by Dale Cochoy. I have been doing clip and grow with it after using wire 5 years ago. The tree is about 28 inches tall.

Imagen

Regards,

Rob aka Bonsai Golfer
Check out my blog http://blogs.knowledgeofbonsai.org/rob_kempinski
Imagen
kaeruen.com
Jose O Rivera
Contactar:

Mensaje por Jose O Rivera »

Muy bonitos como siempre
http://bonsaieneltropico.com

No es lo mismo un buen árbol que un buen Bonsai.
Nelson
Contactar:

Mensaje por Nelson »

Magistral!
Imagen
jmvm
Contactar:

Mensaje por jmvm »

Fantastico trabajo. Y magnifica fuente de inspiración. Espero algún día conseguir que mis ficus se parezcan un poco a los de Rob Kempinski.

Saludos.
Responder

Volver a “Bonsai Ficus”